
Every holiday we celebrate seems to be accompanied by some form of sugar. Why don't we tie a vegetable to each holiday: carrots and eggplants--Halloween, spinach and tomatoes--Christmas, squash--Thanksgiving (
ok, pumpkins can count...). I'll tell you why we don't! Because holidays give us a sense of freedom, letting go and having fun. What better way to do that then to spend time with the ones we love and indulge in a little sweetness. Having a diabetic child has limited the sugar consumption in our house dramatically. Fruit snacks have become an emergency snack, only to be used during one of Tanner's crashes. Instead, my kiddos have had to accept a carrot or celery stalk as a snack along with nuts and cheese. Tanner has helped us to improve our eating habits and curb our sugar intake. However, as a mom, when it comes to holidays I still want to have the good
ol' treats. I want my kids to enjoy the fun, sugary treats associated with holidays. I want Tanner to feel like he gets a holiday too! And so, for Valentine's day we will not be eating
endless boxes of chocolates or popping chalky sweet hearts into our mouths, but we will be indulging in a few frosted cookies! Sometimes life requires some fluffy pink frosting with sprinkles and I will be happy to oblige!
The fluffy pink frosting makes any holiday the best. I'm glad your kids got to enjoy the sweetness of life.
ReplyDelete