Friday, February 22, 2013

December Highlights

 Little Tanner turned 6!  I can't believe it!  Let me take this opportunity to admit my mommy failure.   Notice the yellow cast on Tanner's right arm.  Yes, that is broken arm #2 for Tanner and this is the ONLY picutre I have of him in his cast.  Terrible!  I hate when I forget to document things like that.  He actually broke his arm on Thanksgiving night.  We were at Tommy's brother's house and the kids were playing after dinner when Tanner came upstairs just bawling, which in unlike Tanner.  My brother inlaw mentioned that he saw Tanner jump off the stairs and catch his toe on the edge causing him to lose his balance and land hard.  Tanner kept saying he broke his arm but I couldn't see any displacement or anything.  He continued to cry and say it was broken for the next half hour but he was relatively calm so we didn't know what to do.  Both of Porter's broken arm incidents were very obvious emergency situations.  Tanner's previous broken arm happened during a wrestling match with his cousins.  He fell hard and cried but then tolerated the pain for two days before I finally took him in.  We decided to give him some credit and we headed for the ER. 

By the time we got there and checked in, Tanner was happy and relaxed.  He even put the wrong arm up on the x-ray table.  Yeah, I felt like a winner of a mom when I wispered, "no babe, it's the other arm!".  The x-ray tech looked at me like I was an idiot to be spending my Thanksgiving night in an ER giving my kid ques on which arm hurt.  Tommy and I were both feeling bothered to be wasting money and time at the ER on a holiday evening while our child skipped around the ER waiting area.  We were called back to a room where a Dr. came in quickly to show us the buckle fracture in Tanner's right wrist.  We were shocked!  He looked at us and said, "I told ya so!".  Yep, he did.  They wrapped him up and we started a 7 week run of doctor visits and casts.  He got his final cast off on Christmas Eve.

 I am NOT a birthday party type of mom.  Each of my boys have really only had one party with friends.  We always have two extended family parties and then a party for our little family and I feel a little partied out by the time each birthday passes but Tanner man really wanted an Avengers birthday party and I decided to play along.  We invited a few neighbor kids over for two hours of insanity.  There was a lot of yelling, running, cup caking and a pinata to whack!  It was really fun and Tanner was absolutely thrilled.  It was a fun way to celebrate our little guy's special day.
 Sadly, while I was at home running the crazy party Tommy was at the hospital with our little Carson.  He has what doctors call a reactive airway, which is really just a precursor to asthma.  Carson always gets a few respiratory bugs each winter season that really knock him down for a few weeks.  This was the first bug this season.  He had been showing signs of a common cold for a few days but within 24 hours it all went drastically down hill and he developed pneumonia in both lungs.  Our poor sweet boy came home on oxygen and layed in bed for over 24 hours.  Luckily we were able to take care of him at home and he was never admitted into the hospital.  Not a good way to start the Christmas season but he was healthy by the time the big day rolled around.
 We always leave the day after Christmas to enjoy a week of sunshine in Mesquite.  This has become one of our favorite Christams break traditions because it has eliminated the Christmas night let down.  The excitement continues on as we wake up bright and early on the 26th and head south to find warmer temperatures.  We just love Mesquite all year long!
 Benson and Porter got skateboards for Christmas so we spent a lot of time at our favorite Mesquite park practicing moves.  The big boys went to down the hill the traditional way for a while but it didn't take long for them to figure out they could ride down on their bottoms with more grace. 
 Here they are in a pairs competition!  I just love these boys, they are full of life and they are naturals at making everything fun.  Even Tommy and I got in on the races but it mostly just proved our age and lack of natural ability.   Nevertheless, we had so much fun and spent hours at the park.
Another winter time favortie is knocking pecans down from the trees in the main St. George park.  They are always just perfect this time of year and the trees are loaded.  Tommy throws a football up into the branches and the pecans fall to the ground.  Then the boys scatter to gather as many pecans as they can before Tommy hits the next branch. We all love it! 
 Here they are gathering the pecans that had just dropped to the ground.  Even little Carson knows how to crack the pecans open.  They are always so soft and fresh, a real treat that has become an absolute Christmas break tradition. 
Hunter and I sat and watched Tommy and the boys gather pecans.  The lighting was so soft and dreamy, it was a moment of true joy and reflection.  Tommy and I are so blessed to share our life with these little men.  We have hard days, we have amazing days.  All of them together combine to portray the life we both could only dream of until now.  It is now reality, and moments like these allow us to refelct upon the big picture and recognize the gift that has been given so generously for our happiness.   I love our life and our family.  This year was hard in so many ways but also brought about great additions to our life and home.  We look forward to 2013 and the adventures it will bring.  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment